Thursday, March 6, 2014

Mandala Anyone?

I first became acquainted with mandalas during my time of study at Eastern Mennonite University in the Master of Arts Counseling program.  Mandalas originated from Sanskrit which is the ancient language of India.  The word mandala means "sacred circle." 

A mandala is basically a drawn circle with images, colors, and designs within that circle.  Psychoanalyst, Carl G. Jung used mandalas with his patients and himself as a way of acknowledging the "inner self."  Jung believed that mandalas portrayed our inner experience at that moment.  He believed it was a way for us to experience our inner world with the chaotic outer world which could bring us into union with ourselves to a feeling of wholeness.

I personally color and create my own mandalas.  I have been amazed at how revealing they are of my inner world when I can't put literal words to what I am experiencing.  Once I have finished or completed a mandala, I spend time with it doing associations with the colors or what the designs may symbolically reveal to me. 

The most extensive mandala that I have ever created was last spring 2013.  I keep a daily journal of my reflections, how I experience God, inspirations from God which sometimes becomes a written devotional, and last and probably my most important work is I log my dreams.  Dreams are the unconscious part of our psyche that is trying to come forth to reveal parts of ourselves to us when our defenses are less activated.  Every person and symbol that shows up in our dream is a part of us.  When we do associations with these parts of ourselves, both inferior and good parts are being brought to our awareness.  When we can integrate all of these parts of ourselves into union with each other, we can experience peace, wellness and wholeness.

So last spring I created a mandala based on my dreams that God revealed to me.  I first drew it in my journal and it was so sacred to me that I decided to create a glass mosaic of it.  It was my journey with God of recklessly abandoning my false self and God taking me to my inner depths.  God revealed to me that He shattered my previous way of being and was now leading me into ministry and what He created me to be and do.  Here is a photo of it.  It is 22 inches in circumference with a wooden frame I had custom made for it.

Today I sat down and began to color a mandala because I have an inner stirring and restlessness within me that I can't name.  Here is a picture of it and this is what God revealed to me.  The purple is at my inner most depth and soul and represents the Holy Spirit within me.  It is  from this place that as my own seeds have been planted, the spirit is also dispersing seeds beyond and through me.  The yellow is God's light and blessing in this process and work that is taking place.  Red is the passion that is being birthed.  Green is the growth that is taking place even though it doesn't seem to be much happening.  I am assured though that it is coming to fruition.  The orange is abundant and it is the harvest that is coming.  The blue is the spirit of protection and peace while all of this is taking place within and without me.

There is a lot that is stirring and it now makes sense to me what I am experiencing.  I would encourage you to try to color your own mandala.  There are several websites that offer free, printable mandalas.  If you decide to take this up, please share with me your mandala and reflection of your experience.  I would love to hear from you!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment