Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Bridge is the Middle Way

As I was walking this evening I naturally gravitated to the river again.  This time I stood on the concrete bridge and looked over the opposite side which is downstream from where I usually sit.  As I stood there with my hands on the concrete bridge I felt vibrations going through my entire body.  Was it possible that the water currents were causing the vibrations?  I just stood there and experienced it thinking how is it possible that the water currents could create and penetrate that much energy through the concrete bridge?  Then I thought this is a no brainer!  It is Jesus' living water full of vibrancy and power that actually could do this to bring an awareness to me.

I then walked over to the other side where I usually sit and looked over the edge.  There was a noticeable difference upstream then it was downstream.  Upstream where I usually sit was rapid currents, rocks protruding out of the water, louder noise from the currents and a lot of debris along the edges.  So I walked back over to the downstream side and noticed the water was peaceful, calm, lush green grass of islands and it was quieter on this side.

As I was reflecting what this possibly could represent, I walked down the bank to sit beside the river.  I just kept staring up at the bridge as I sat there.  Then a thought came to me that the bridge is the middle way.  The bridge is the middle connection or crossover from our pain and suffering to the future of peace and calm. 

What happens on the bridge or the middle way until we crossover from the past into the future?  It is a transformational process of where we must go to many times to remove thoughts and memories of the past but also not looking ahead into the future with our preconceived plans and desires.  Looking to the past and into the future is a reaction from an overbearing or underbearing ego that can respond in harmful ways toward ourselves and even others.  It is at this place on the bridge or the middle way where we should spend a lot of quiet time in meditation and prayer asking God to help us keep our thoughts on the present moment and our surroundings.  When we experience times of recalling past hurts, losses or memories we need to release them by lifting them up to God to take.  When we have ambitious thoughts about our future wants, plans or desires again we need to release them by lifting them up to God.

It is at the bridge or the middle way connection where God is cultivating, pruning and ripening our spiritual life so that we can experience a fruitful life of peace and contentment in the present moment no matter what comes our way.  This evening it was evident that across the bridge downstream, it definitely looked more green, lush and calm.  We always want to rush the process or people tell us to just get over our grief and move on.  It is not that simple.  The middle way is probably the most important part of the process and where we should spend most of our time by even revisiting it often on a moment-by-moment basis so that we can maintain this peace.  This will be an ongoing life commitment and discipline.  I am going to be intentional of spending more time on the bridge in the middle so that I can experience peace and calm in my life so that when unexpected things come my way, I am more equipped to handle them.


As I write this, I can still recall and feel the vibrations and energy running through my body at the bridge.  This was an enlightening and powerful experience of what God revealed to me about staying on the bridge in the middle by not rushing the process but sitting and staying in the present moment.  It is at this place where peace, wellness and wholeness can be achieved for ourselves that will overflow positively into others making a mind, body, soul and spirit connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment