Tuesday, June 25, 2013

You Pick...Superficial or Supernatural?

The moon from my patio.
It is 2 am on June 25, 2013, and I can't sleep.  I feel restless so I sit up on the side of my bed and try to meditate to see if I can hear God's voice.  Maybe this is a prompting from Him to reveal something to me or maybe He is just wanting me to be in His presence.

As I am sitting here, I notice a bright light coming in through my bedroom window.  I get up and look out.  I can't see the moon, but I know it is the light from the moon.  I decide to go downstairs and put on a light jacket and go outside and sit on my patio just looking up and staring at the full moon. 

I have always been enamored by the moon and there has always been a natural tendency for me to be in awe of the moon's feminine energy that it exudes.  As I was thoughtlessly staring at the moon, the light was radiating creating an outline of the trees, the buildings, the barn and the farm landscape.  The sky was so clear with only a few clouds that were standing still motionless.  There was this calm and quietness where nothing at all could be heard.  I didn't even hear one car go by on Rt. 257 which is very unusual.  Then I heard my next door neighbor's composter automatically turn on.  I could hear it tossing the dead things inside it around so that with time and going through a natural heat process that it would produce beautiful, rich nourishing fertilizer that he could use on his yard, garden or field.

I began to reflect and think that is exactly what God does to us in our lives.  He slowly and patiently prunes and clips away at all of our deeply rooted dead stuff of sin, our imperfections, and false personas that we put on.  This is a very painful process, but He knows how to apply enough pressure and heat that will make us surrender these dead parts of ourselves without breaking us but by composting us into rich, nourishing spiritual fertilizer that He can use for us to be in the image of Christ.  It is at this place that He is more than abundantly able to use our spiritual fertilizer so that we can then be His disciples to spread our spiritual fertilizer into others lives helping them to fully grow into a transformational relationship with Jesus Christ.

Each day we must examine those dead parts of ourselves and throw them off into the composter so that God can tumble and refine us into His rich spiritual fertilizer.  This daily process is what releases our full potential in Jesus Christ so that we can be obedient and recklessly abandoned followers for Him without any obstacles or distractions.  This process comes with sacrifices because we may be called and led to give up the most important relationships to us, our families, our possessions, our plans, our desires, secure job, etc.  These things have been what is most comfortable to us and what we know. 

Are we going to choose to radically follow Christ by recklessly abandoning everything that we know, that gives us this security and that is comfortable?  Or are we going to remain comfortable and stagnant by not experiencing what God has fully planned for our lives?   

I personally don't want to miss the calling that God has placed upon my heart, so I have chosen to step out in faith and the uncertainty by continually examining myself everyday to determine where I need to deny and abandon myself even more.  I ask myself, do I want to settle for the superficial things of this world, or do I want to experience the supernatural abundance and glory of God?  I know it's not easy as I am finding out in my own spiritual journey.  It comes with much pain and sacrifices, but I am not willing to stay comfortable and not experience the pain so that God can reveal to me His supernatural abundance and joy He wants me to fully experience.

What about you?  Do you pick the superficial or are you going for the supernatural?  I would love to hear your pick and what have you had to surrender to be in God's will?

Peace and blessings to you with abundant grace and kindness through this process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment