Friday, November 8, 2013

Oh My Love for the Spirit of the Gingko Tree and What It Means to Me!

This week as I was walking across the campus of Eastern Mennonite University, I found a Gingko Tree leaf on my path.  Gingko Trees are not that common in the area.  They are very symbolic to me however.  At my previous home in Ottobine, I had two Gingko Trees in my yard.  One was at my back entrance door and the other was at my dining room window where I would often sit and meditate watching two squirrels eat and play while four red-headed wooded peckers would visit which was also very symbolic to me.

Gingko Trees are believed to be the oldest tree on Earth and "an example of the oldest living fossil" of a little over 200 million years originating from China.  The leaves of the Gingko tree are so distinct in that they are fan shaped.  What I love about its appearance is that the trees stand so perfectly straight with these elegant leaves that hang without imperfections.  Because of the odor of the Gingko Tree, pests are unlikely to damage the tree.  During the summer their leaves are a beautiful green and in the fall they all turn a golden yellow.  At the first hard frost all of the leaves will synchronistically fall at the same time dropping like random rain drops creating their own melody of mother natures song. 

So what is my love and significance of the Gingko Tree?  What does the Gingko Tree speak to me?  It is a tough tree known for its resiliency.  In fact, they have been known to reach over 3,500 years old.  In 1945 when the Hiroshima atom bomb was dropped, everything was destroyed except for four Gingko Trees!  Today these trees are still living and are known as "The Bearers of Hope". 

To me the Gingko tree represents the closest living tangible symbolism of God that is over 200 million years old.  It is a sacred tree to me that represents a tree of life that offers healing with its medicinal capabilities, hope because of its tough and resilient nature, spirit of humanity because of its male and female sexes, and individuality, but one of inclusiveness because of its uniqueness that we are all sharing this Earth together that are interconnected not only by our souls and Heavenly Father, but with mother nature as well.

I wonder what would happen if we all developed a spirit of the Gingko Tree?  It is a unique, inclusive species that embraces our individuality, but more importantly recognizes the spirit that is within each of us connecting us.  What would our possibilities and capabilities be expanded too?  Is this God's message from the Gingko Tree that He has placed here on Earth for us to see and hear from the Gingko Tree?  Is the Gingko Tree to be our example for all of humanity to stand together as one of healing instead of hurting, hope instead of despair, resiliency instead of destruction?

Oh how I love the spirit of the Gingko Tree and what is represents to me of my hope and love for humanity!  Amen.

(The illustration is from my journal on April 28, 2012 of the Gingko Tree that was at my Ottobine home looking out my dining room window where I meditated often.  Of how I miss that view!)






No comments:

Post a Comment