Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Come Now I Have Called You

Another busy day loading up our luggage, leaving Nazareth and traveling to Tiberias.  We visited ancient Sepphoris, visited Kibbutz Lavi and the walked up the cliff of Arbel for a breathtaking view of the Sea of Galilee.  We enjoyed a peaceful sail across the Galilee then ended up at our hotel that actually overlooks the Galilee.  As soon as I got my luggage to my room, I took off to explore the shore of the Galilee and to put my feet in the water.

So here I am sitting along the rocky shore of the Galilee with my pant legs rolled up and my feet in the water.  I am running my hands through the stones and small shells.  I am collecting my favorite ones based on size, shape and color.  I collected an entire handful and wasn't sure what I was going to put them in because I would like to take them home with me.  In my backpack I found a small zip lock bag that my dental flossers are in.  I dumped them out in the bottom of my backpack and placed my collection in the bag. 

As I sit here and watch the sun go down across the water, the waves are gently rippling in and out in abstract patterns.  As the waves hit the shore, it makes a swishing sound that is so peaceful.  This reminds me of the story of Jesus and his disciples going across the Galilee.  When Jesus was napping, a storm came upon them.  The disciples scared, awakened Jesus frantically stating that the boat was going to sink,  In his calm and peaceful demeanor, he asked them if they had no faith.  Then the storm, wind and waves calmed down.  The disciples were amazed at what Jesus had just done.

As I stare at my feet in the water, I imagine myself in the boat in the middle of my life storm.  The water on my feet reminds me of Jesus' living water that is washing over me.  As he is washing over me, he is tossing and tumbling me about to smooth the rough edges just like the stone on the shore that I found.  He is pushing me to come out of my comfort zone and move into the new thing that he has prepared and divinely orchestrated for me like the empty snail shells I found on the shore.  I have to come out of my shell that has for so long been a safe haven for me.

I hear Jesus saying stop resisting this tossing and tumbling.  Let me have my way with you.  Come out of your shell so that you can realize your full potential and what I have planned for you.  Jesus is saying it is time!  You have been on the boat long enough.  It is time for you to look forward and step out of the boat onto the water looking at me and only me.  He says to me, "show me your faith and I will not let you sink.  I have been on this journey through the storms, during the tossing and tumbling, even at your comfortable hiding place and now with you ready to take those next steps.  I am with you!"

Then I composed this poem titled:

Come Now I Have Called You
Through the storms
You tossed and tumbled me
Like stones with many edges,
shapes and colors.
 
You pushed me out of my comfort zone
Encouraging me to leave my safe haven.
All along you have been with me
Pouring your living water over me.
 
Now you give me peace and say
Get out of the boat
Come, follow and realize your full potential.
I have patiently been waiting.
 
Come, Come now!



No comments:

Post a Comment