Monday, May 6, 2013

Today's Events & A Conversation with a Palestinian Shop Keeper

Today was an amazing day.  We went to the Bascilica and Grotto (cave) of the Nativity where Jesus Christ was born.  We walked down the tunnels of where St. Jerome lived for 20 years translating the Old Testament from Greek to Latin by candlelight.  Our group sat in Jerome's room and sang a hymn together that moved me in a deep way.  I stayed behind during my free time to sit in meditation and prayer.  Tears came as I experienced the Holy Spirit upon me.  I felt a feeling of humbleness and gratefulness as I wept before the Lord.

Next we walked through the courtyard to the church of St. Catherine.  The church was breathtaking and stunning.  I took many photos of the church because I can't even begin to put into words the beauty of the church. 

We then traveled to Herodian where Herod the Great built his summer palace and burial ground.  The structure was massive and we walked up to the top and inside of the palace.  We entered the bath house that has a stone dome which is the oldest dome in the world.  We walked through the tunnels under the palace that was a source for their water with large cisterns that had 25 steps to get to the bottom.  It was amazing and ingenious of what they built during that time.

One of my most favorite times of today was when Janet and I went out on the streets of Bethlehem after dinner to look in the shops.  We only made it to one shop because we talked to a Palestinian shop owner about his experience living under the current conditions.  He said that he lives each day in fear because of the uncertainty of what may or may not happen.  Simple things such as taking his family on vacations or to church is always a hassle.  He only thinks about the day and can't plan anything for the future.  I asked him what his hope was and he said that he hopes things can be different for his children and that things don't get worse then what they currently are. 

As I walked away after having my photo with him, I wondered what is worse?  What is the answer?  There is no war here right now with destruction and devastation, but the Palestinians are losing their land, freedom to do things to come and go as they please and losing power and territory.  I took a picture of the stages of how Israel has been confiscating the Palestinian land.  In 1948 Palestine owned much of the territory.  Now in 2000 Israel owns most of it crowding out the Palestinians.  This injustice makes me angry, but I know anger is not the answer.  How can this feeling be channeled productively to create change in such a complex situation.  The only thing I know to do right now is to pray for peace and justice for the Palestinians.  I also will continue to learn more about the complexity of the situation and see what God may reveal in all of this.  I know God is in control and at the center of this situation even though I question and wonder what the purpose is for all of this despair.  In the meantime, I will remain hopeful for the Palestinians.

No comments:

Post a Comment