Friday, May 3, 2013

Safely in Jerusalem!

I am happy to say that at 5:15 pm all 13 of the 14 are here safely in Jerusalem.  My one classmate missed our flight but I understand that he has made a connecting flight and I hope by now he is here safely. I must say it has been an exhausting trip.  As I was checking in at Dulles Airport, I could only check in one bag to Tel Aviv.  The second bag was all of my toiletry items that they threw away.  This did not dampen my spirits though.  It was simply a lesson learned; don't over pack and bring just one bag:)

The flight from Dulles to Paris was approximately eight hours and at times turbulent.  I took motion sickness medicine and that helped me.  We barely made our connecting flight in Paris to Tel Aviv because our carry on items had to go through security again which did not make much sense to me.  This flight was about an additional seven hours.  During this flight I was able to lie down because I did not have anyone beside me.

Once we arrived at Tel Aviv, I was still feeling the effects of motion sickness and the effects of the motion sickness medicine because it makes me really drowsy.  I had a hard time keeping my eyes open as we were waiting for our bus to pick us up.  Our bus will be taking us to Jerusalem where we will get a panoramic view of the Old City from Mt. Scopus which overlooks the seven Mounts. 

This is all still surreal to me that I am actually here.  I thank God for the great flights, safe travels and a wonderful group of people to travel with.  I am looking forward to what God will reveal to us.  Once we got to Cosa Nova Guest House, we had to walk through windy streets with large limestone structures on each side which seemed to be narrow alley ways.  However, you did have to be careful because cars did drive downs these alley ways.  We walked up several steep flights of stairs to get to Cosa Nova Guest House.  Our room is tiny with two single beds and a small full bath which is just quaint and very clean.  I love it here already!  I am in love with this place and feel a deeply rooted connection that I can't even begin to articulate.  As I rested on my bed prior to going to dinner, you could hear numerous church bells ringing in the background.  I have such a peace and my heart is so full of gratitude and expectancy!

My roommate, Furst, and I left early to walk the streets a bit before our dinner and we were able to watch a processional by the Orthodox Christians celebrating Easter.  There are going to be celebrations here all weekend that were not part of our schedule but we are going to attend some of the special services which I am looking forward to.  As we watched the processional, I became extremely emotional and teary eyed.  I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit that overcame me.  Furst and I heard loud music and drums so we followed the streets to see where it was coming from.  We walked up some steep steps and saw a room full of men and boys playing drums and bag pipes as part of the Easter Celebration.  I spoke with one of the women about their tradition and our souls instantly connected.


I can't even begin to explain this short, but deeply moving experience of being here during the time of Orthodox Christians Easter Celebration.  This is a diverse, complicated but amazing place.  This land is shared predominately by three religions that are in constant turmoil and conflict with each other.   As an outsider looking in, I see people trapped in strongholds from many generations.  I am sensing and feeling a deep, heartfelt connection here at this place of wanting to spread love and peace for all to experience.  Oh God, it is only the first day and I can't wait to see what else you share and reveal to me.  I want to experience more of you God!  I feel like I am at home.  I need to reflect on that and see what that means.  Tomorrow is a packed full day beginning at 6:30 am with added special celebrations that will last until 2 am in the morning if I can stay awake.  I hope I can:)  Peace and blessings to all who are following!  I look forward to sharing more with you of what God reveals.  Love you!  

    

2 comments: