Friday, May 31, 2013

Love the Butterfly Heart Flutters

I was being led to be still and needed space to do that before my day of appointments began.  After I dropped my daughter off at school, I decided to go to JMU Arboretum to meditate.  Once I got there, I was the only car on the lot and it felt like it had been reserved especially for me on this day at this appointed time.  I began to walk down the path and cross the pond. At the edge of the pond was one duck with her one duckling.  I wondered why she only had one duckling and why there were no other ducks on the pond which I thought was odd.

As I continued on the path where fresh pine bark had been laid, I heard birds chirping joyfully.  Then a sweet aroma captured my senses.  I found myself breathing in deeper and deeper wanting more of this sweet, pleasing aroma.  I did not see any blossoms and could not figure out where the smell was coming from.  Then discretely mingled with other greenery, I saw it!  It was honeysuckle.  Oh yes, honeysuckle!

I continued to walk along the path listening to the quietness with background melodies of the birds chirping.  Then I came upon azaleas that were bursting with blooms of a deep, passionate lavender that gave me a calming peace and knowing of feeling near to the Holy Spirit.  My heart had butterfly flutters like you get when you know for the first time you are in love .  I got emotional with tears in my eyes and goose bumps all over my body.

How would the Holy Spirit use this azalea bush bloom to speak to me?  What would it say and want me to know?  I know it is something important because my heart was melting as I stared and reflected on the beauty of the bloom.  I picked off one of the blooms and held it in my hand hoping that it would speak to me.  It also had five petals with three that were on top that I instantly thought of the Trinity of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  The two petals at the bottom spoke of my daughter and I.  What does that mean?

I sat on the park bench and just kept staring at the petal praying that it would speak to me.  On the one top petal that represents the Father were mingled yellow-green markings on it.  As I sat quietly, the wind was blowing softly rustling the leaves with a sound similar to flowing water.

As I was sitting on the park bench, I heard footsteps behind me and as I turned it was a friend that I had not seen in a long time that noticed I was there.  He approached me and said that he noticed I was there meditating and he wanted to give me something to put on my desk and handed me a small potted plant called a creeping sedum.  He told me that it gets a beautiful pink bloom on it and that he hoped it would bring me joy.

What are the synchronistic possibilities of that happening?  What does that mean?  I begin to be amazed at how mysteriously God works and reveals Himself with through His creation and others.  God certainly was present with me in all of my coming and goings of this day so far.

Then I reflected and wondered that maybe I am like the duck that feels all alone with one duckling?  Even though I am on the path that I know God has divinely orchestrated, the path can often feel lonely.  On the path, God let me smell his sweet honeysuckle aroma revealing to me that He is close with me.  When I feel like there is so much darkness around me, He shows me his bursting beauty through azalea blossoms that are lavender that represents Spirit that is dotted with yellow-green patterns that show energy and new growth that is being birthed from the Father.  I noticed that the azalea bush is called bloom-a-thon lavender.  Bloom-a-thon?  Maybe running a race at a steady pace with patience and endurance for the long haul that just keeps blooming and blooming?  Then an old friend synchronistically appeared on the same path that would hand me a creeping sedum to bring me joy!  I sat there emotional again in awe of how God was showing His Glory and mystery.

As I began to leave, I come upon a sapling tree with a baby blue jay resting on the limb that is apparently just learning to fly.  God speaks to me and says that He too is equipping me to fly just like the blue jay in the tree.  Once I learn to fly being navigated by the Holy Spirit, I too will be like the azalea bloom bursting of inner beauty and light ministering to others with great love, patience, and endurance for the long haul planting seeds for more blossoms to come forth.  As I get to the pond, ironically it is full of ducks and ducklings where God reminds me that I am not alone.  Just as He brought a friend to me when I least expected, He too will surround me with others that will come along to nourish my heart, mind, body and soul.  He affirmed that I am never alone and He has given me exactly what I need right when I need it. 

God, thank you for showing your presence all around me this morning reminding me that when I am still, you will show up in amazing and profound ways.  I am so thankful that I acknowledged the Sarah Young devotional from Jesus Calling that said to "Be still in My Presence, inviting Me to control your thoughts. Let My Light soak into your mind and heart, until you are aglow with My very Being. This is the most effective way to receive My Peace."  Not only did You give me peace, you gave me affirmation that everything that is happening is in your control and you are in the middle of all of it beyond my understanding and comprehension.  I just need to pay attention!  Thank you God for giving my heart butterfly flutters of your love today! 

P.S. - I later looked up the characteristics of the creeping sedum.  It said that it thrives on neglect.  It is a tough-as-nails plant with colorful flowers that can even survive and bounce back when it is stepped on.   It is drought-tolerant that blooms nearly all season and will grow where other plants can't live. They can even grow out of rocky ground or stone walls.  Profound symbolism in my own personal story.  God is Almighty!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment