Sunday, May 5, 2013

Encounters with the Holy Spirit in Jerusalem & Bethlehem

This morning we went to worship at the Melkite Church which is a Greek Orthodox Church in Jerusalem.  The entire service was in Arabic so I didn't understand the language or the service rituals which I enjoyed.  I very much enjoyed their use of chanting, the incense and procession during the service.  Even though I didn't have an understanding, I still felt and experienced the Holy Spirit in an emotional and bodily felt sense way.  As I took communion and went to pray at my seat, that is when I experienced the Holy Spirit in an overwhelming way.  I knew the Spirit was upon me and in my midst but unsure of what was happening to me.

Once we left church, we walked to the Holy Scpulctre Church which is unlike anything I have ever seen before.  Frescos and glass mosaics adorned the walls and ceilings of the massive detailed architecture of stone and marble. 

We then had lunch in the Old City of Jerusalem and shopped local shops.  We then had some free time prior to loading up to Bethlehem in which I ended up taking a nap in the lobby of our guest house.  We then loaded up and were headed to Bethlehem.  We got to experience effortlessly going through the terminal into Bethlehem.  As we passed through, I through how crazy this seemed and wondered if the Palestinians experienced the same effortlessness?  I already knew the answer to that question and seriously doubted it was that easy for them.  As we were driving through Bethlehem, the wall seemed so large and inappropriately placed.  Again I can't even begin to imagine how the Palestinians have suffered, lost their homes, farm land and the injustices of what they have experienced of having so much taken away from them.

Our driver dropped us off at the destination as close to our guest house, The International Center.  We walked the rest of the way because of the narrow streets.  We had time to unpack and freshen up prior to our prayer time and dinner.

Prayer time was again an emotional experience of the Holy Spirit for me.  I wept through hymns, our readings and closing prayer.  I was trembling and knew that I was being called to be still and meditate in the presence of God.  I am so glad that I was obedient and did that because God revealed to me a visual image with a message that I must continue to pray and meditate upon of what God is trying to reveal to me as I am on this Pilgrimage. 

This evening I am exhausted from the events of the day, but mostly from the direct encounters of the Holy Spirit.  Tomorrow we will be touring Manager Square, Church of the Nativity, St. Catherines, Herodian, Solomon's Pools and Shepard's Fields.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are able to have this experience! There will be many more such encounters with the Spirit of God, often when you least expect it, during this trip. Don't be afraid to admit that you are tired! :-) When circumstances you encounter seem overwhelming, just put them into God's hands, so you don't have to carry them all by yourself.

    shalom,

    Les

    ReplyDelete